Follow Nahmias Cipher Report on Twitter
Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life’s longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you.
And though they are with you, they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts.
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
Which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite.
And He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer’s hands be for happiness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
So He loves the bow that is stable.
- Khalil Gibran – The Prophet: On Children (pattyperkowski.com)
- Your Children Are Not Your Children (majellalaws.com.au)
- Bows and Arrows, Mothers and Children (professionsforpeace.com)
- The Road Less Traveled – Knopf’s The Prophet (ayearofintention.wordpress.com)
- Love is Separateness (realmanure.wordpress.com)