We have chosen to reblog this post because the blog on which this was originally featured, DJ Academe, provides a wealth of knowledge and challenges our perspectives through the use of video.
There were so many good posts that it was hard to choose one to reblog; however, we eventually chose to this post because American slaves originated from Africa which is a dominant focus of The Nahmias Cipher Report.
DJ Academe is a blog well worth perusing. It is not just about racism in America or elsewhere, it is about Human Rights. They challenge our notions of gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc. and are definitely succeeding in ‘Teaching Sociology Through Video.’
- ‘Slavery by Another Name’ wins praise, applause at Sundance Film Festival (thegrio.com)
- “Slavery By Another Name” (americablog.com)
- Laurence Fishburne narrated ‘Slavery By Another Name’ explores ‘shameful’ history (thegrio.com)
- SLAVERY by Another Name (chiefwritingwolf.com)
- The lie about when slavery ended (dailykos.com)
Originally posted on DJ Academe:
See the full film at http://video.pbs.org/video/2176766758
SLAVERY BY ANOTHER NAME is a 90 minute documentary that challenges one of America’s most cherished assumptions: the belief that slavery in this country ended with Abraham Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation of 1863. Premiering February 13 on PBS.